The answer is NO.
The “fact” that junk food is cheaper than real food has become a reflexive part of how we explain why so many Americans are overweight, particularly those with lower incomes. I frequently read confident statements like, “when a bag of chips is cheaper than a head of broccoli …” or “it’s more affordable to feed a family of four at McDonald’s than to cook a healthy meal for them at home.”
this bullshit fills me with a very specific kind of rage. so, TIME TO DEBUNK!
- that meal from mcdonalds takes virtually no time to acquire AND is available almost anywhere.
- the second meal? that “salad” is lettuce … with nothing else, not even dressing unless its just olive oil or some milk i guess? gross.
- also thats the price of each serving, not an entire loaf of bread, a bottle of olive oil, etc. that stuff adds up which means you have to have a lot of money at one time to buy it all.
- that meal probably took an hour and a half to make, which is a long fucking time when you work multiple jobs or are caring for a lot of people or dont have help! seriously, if you are a single parent of three who works, is spending an hour and a half every night preparing a meal a likely option?
- same with beans and rice! also, you know whats a fucking bummer? eating beans and rice every night because you are poor. ask any person who has done it and they will tell you (you can start with me).
- there is a “nutrition” argument here that lacks a follow up: poor people are more likely to be doing physical labor and need more than 571 calories per meal.
- you know who is less likely to know how to bake or prepare a chicken? people without access to the internet, or libraries, or who werent taught how to by their parents because their parents worked all the time. access to healthy foods is a classist issue and classism is cyclical, you fucking morons.
- seriously, these sorts of infographics make me want to fucking flip tables. do you know why people don’t eat more fresh fruits and vegetables? because fresh fruits and vegetables are expensive, because they take a long time to prepare, because they dont live near a grocery store that has a decent produce section, because they dont have reliable transportation to get groceries to and from the grocery store, because they dont have the energy to plan all of the shit that is involved in making healthy, intentional, filling, balanced meals. basically: poor people get fucked, and then we get BLAMED for being lazy.
- eating “healthy”, aka access to fresh fruits and vegetables, is a privilege, first, foremost, always. so fuck you new york times and your ignorant goddamn infographic.
- there are SYSTEMATIC REASONS that we do not have equal access to fresh fruits and vegetables. they are very REAL problems. besides, you know, systematic poverty in america, the total mis-distribution of farm subsidies is a perfect place to start. read about that, then either get bent or start working on the actual problem.
TIME FOR A CAT PARTY
HUMAN DANCE WITH US
Dͬͫ͊̎҉҉̛̬̣͚A̱̫̩̣̫̎ͫͤͨ̂̆̋͘͜Ņ̷̣̱̇ͤ͗͛̚C̛̞̜͕̖̤̥̱ͤ̚È̡͓͚ͯ́ ̣̩ͬ̀̋̐̿́ͨͧ̀͟W̛̼͇͍͕̄ͨ̓̅ͬ̔ͮ̃͘͠Ȋ̷̶̧̳̖ͫ̎͑̿͊̚T̨̳̬͙̥̆ͧ̂̒ͅHͦ̽͐̀̿ͫͧ̌͏ͅ ̔̊̈͐͗͡͏̜͓̀Ư̡̛͈͕̯͕̹ͪ̎͆S͇̗͕͚̳̻͒͐̍̄ͯ̒̚͠,̷̢͎̥̻͗͗͌͌́̀̚ ̟̺̟̜̼͔ͨ͒̒͟H̯̆͐͡U̅̀̽ͦ́ͥ́͆͏̦̰̙̲͔̟͜M̡̭̫̰̰̭̘̬ͬ͑̍ͮ̄̓A̯̫͕̲͗ͩ̏̊̔͛Nͤ͏̷̞̩͎̦̱.̵̟͔̟̓͒̾͡
The Penguin Foundation has a global call out for knitters to make pullovers for penguins in rehab.
Penguins caught in oil spills need the little jumpers to keep warm and to stop them from trying to clean the toxic oil off with their beaks.
If you enjoy knitting as a pass time please please please do this. please.
You can download a PDF with more info here
signal boost this year again :D
PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT EXCITED ABOUT SPACE BAFFLE ME LIKE THEY JUST FOUND A PLANET WHERE IT RAINS GLASS AND IT RAINS SIDEWAYS ITS LIKE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOW CAN U NOT CARE IF U CANT BE EXCITED ABOUT SPACE GET OUT MY FACE
THERE IS A SUPER MASSIVE CLOUD OF DRINKABLE ALCOHOL FLOATING AROUND IN SPACE AND FROM WHAT WE CAN TELL SO FAR IT’S RASPBERRY FLAVORED OKAY